Fluoride Treatment for Kids in Denver, CO
Helping your child learn how to care for their teeth properly is one of the most important roles of a parent. After all, a healthy smile is the key to good overall health. If teaching your kid how to prevent cavities and gum disease seems overwhelming, you’re not alone. The good news is that regular dental checkups, professional cleanings, and fluoride treatments can help keep your child’s teeth strong and beautiful. Here’s what you should know about fluoride treatments for kids in Denver, CO, before scheduling your next appointment with Dr. Roz.
What is Fluoride Treatment?
Fluoride is a mineral that occurs naturally in water and other food sources. Along with consuming fluoride through your diet, it can be applied directly to your teeth to strengthen and protect your enamel from developing dental decay. When we eat and drink, we lose valuable minerals that protect our teeth from developing cavities. Fluoride treatments can help remineralize our enamel and make it harder for food particles and bacteria to adhere to teeth and cause problems.
While fluoride can benefit adults, it’s particularly helpful for children who are still learning good oral hygiene habits and are at a greater risk of experiencing cavities. Fluoride is applied quickly and easily, and taste’s great!
Benefits of Fluoride Treatments for Kids
Fluoride treatments can be applied quickly and painlessly, making it easy to incorporate into your child’s regular preventative dentistry appointment. Some of the many benefits that fluoride treatments can provide kids include:
- Strengthening Tooth Enamel
- Preventing Tooth Decay
- Promoting Optimal Oral Health
- Being Minimally Invasive
What to Expect During Your First Visit
Knowing what to expect during your child’s dental appointment can help it go smoothly. Our trusted team always strives to provide a friendly environment so you and your child can feel calm and confident when visiting our office.
Here’s what you can expect to take place during your child’s fluoride treatment at Northfield Pediatric Dentistry:
- Dental Examination: Dr. Roz will look at their teeth, gums, and the soft tissues of their mouth to ensure they don’t have any issues, such as cavities.
- Application of Fluoride: If their teeth are cavity-free, she will apply fluoride by gently “painting” fluoride on their surface, especially in the crevices of their back teeth where cavities are most likely to develop.
- Duration: Your child’s teeth will immediately begin absorbing the fluoride varnish; there is no need to wipe it off.
- Swallowing Precautions: Swallowing a small amount of fluoride isn’t a problem; however, we will encourage your child to try not to swallow for a few seconds after the fluoride has dried on their enamel.
- Post-Treatment Instructions: While it’s okay for your child to eat and drink after their fluoride treatment, it’s best to avoid brushing their teeth for a few hours.
Schedule Your Child’s Next Fluoride Teeth Treatment With Us Today
It’s much easier to help your child maintain a healthy, beautiful smile than to treat oral health concerns once they’ve begun. By encouraging your child to brush their teeth twice a day, taking them to the dentist twice a year for routine checkups, and having fluoride applied to their teeth as recommended by their dentist, they’ll be well on their way to having strong teeth and gums for life.
At Northfield Pediatric Dentistry, Dr. Roz and her trusted team want to show you how simple going to the dentist with your child can be. We offer modern dental services in a comfortable office setting to children of all ages. Contact us today to schedule your child’s next appointment!